350.org Milwaukee presents: Wisconsin Fair Maps with Matt Rothschild Feb 9

Event Dates: 
02/09/21

350 Milwaukee Meeting
Tuesday, February 9, 7 - 8:30pm

Zoom Virtual Meeting

Wisconsin Fair Maps
With Matt Rothschild - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign
 

After each Census (i.e. 2020) the state's congressional and senate districts (both federal and state) are redrawn based on the census population numbers so that each district within the state includes the same number of residents - equal representation.  2021 is the year those district boundaries will be redrawn.

"Partisan gerrymandering is a practice that attempts to establish a political advantage for a particular party or group by manipulating geographic boundaries to create partisan or incumbent-protected districts." - Fair Maps Coalition



Gerrymandering -
Why should voters choose the representatives
when the representatives can choose the voters?

 Next Tuesday's 350 MKE monthly meeting focuses on gerrymandering. Why? To reach net zero by 2050 Wisconsin will need a massive transformation from fossil fuels to renewables on a personal, commercial and industrial scale. This will require major governmental action.
This past January confirms that we still live in a democracy. Yes, our vote does count but not in Wisconsin. Because of gerrymandering, we live in voting districts that have been drawn to guarantee dominance by one party. Statewide, one party consistently holds 60% of the legislative seats while the other party holds 40%.

Consequently, Wisconsin has fallen dramatically from its leadership in environment and renewable energy.

Wisconsin Deserves Fair Election Maps is a presentation by Sachin Chheda, Director of the Fair Election Project.  This one hour video provides an in-depth look at gerrymandering in Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Supreme Court Case and grassroots action strategies that have massive bipartisan support throughout Wisconsin.

Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81256300336

Meeting ID: 812 5630 0336

Sent to WNPJ by Peace Action WI - info@peaceactionwi.org